Szechuan (Sichuan) cuisine originates from Sichuan Province in China. Ultimately know for it’s spicy but yet flavourful taste, it’s a popular cuisine that is enjoyed worldwide.
Here at Got 2 Eat Meals we take pride in making all of our marinades from scratch. Our Szechuan recipe is no exception. This recipe was recently used with Tempeh to create a Vegan/Vegetarian version of this popular dish. It also goes well with Chicken, Beef and Ground Turkey.
- 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp braggs seasoning(or coconut aminos)
- ¼ cup white dry cooking sherry
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- ¼ cup scallions
- sesame seeds
- Add Szechuan Peppercorns in a spice blender, grind and set aside.
- Combine other raw and wet ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse ingredients for a few seconds.
- Add granulated peppercorns.
- Crumble Tempeh in a stainless steel bowl.
You have a choice of either pre-marinating the Tempeh for at least an hour or cooking the Tempeh in a preheated wok with oil and then add the marinade. Adding chopped onions is optional depending on your palate. Remove from wok and allow to cool. Sprinkle with chopped Scallions & Sesame Seeds and serve.
If you’re worried about extra calories you can drain the run off in a strainer. It will still taste great but just have less sauce. This dish can be complimented with a side of rice and sautéed greens. We pair ours with an Asian Style Cauliflower fried rice and sautéed greens simply to keep the carb count in check.